Farm to Fork Sweet Potato Chili
Delicious comfort food that is also Whole 30 friendly? I had to share one of my favorite winter recipes with you, Farm to Fork's Sweet Potato Chili!
Don't be scared to mix up the ingredients a little bit and cook with what you have on hand. Try it over a weekend and have easy, healthy leftovers for lunch the next week!
Serves 8 to 10. Recipe can be halved or it freezes great, too!
• 2 lbs grass-fed ground beef
• 3 tablespoons avocado oil
• 6 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 medium red onions, diced
• 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
• 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
• 4 large sweet potatoes*, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (8 cups)
• 2 cans (10.75 ounces) tomato sauce*
• 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
• 4 cups tomato juice
• 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
• 1-1/2 tablespoons chili powder
• ½ tablespoon chipotle chili pepper
• 1 tablespoon smoked paprika*
• 1 tablespoon cumin
• 1/2 teaspoon allspice
• 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1.) In a large Dutch oven, cook ground beef over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until meat is browned, about 10 minutes.
2.) Remove ground beef, place in a bowl and set aside. Drain off fat.
3.) Heat the avocado oil over medium-high heat, then add onion and peppers, cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
4.) Add sweet potatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add more oil if needed so the garlic doesn’t burn.
5.) Add the cooked beef, tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, tomato juice, apple cider vinegar, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, allspice and salt. Stir to combine.
6.) Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for at least 30 minutes.
7.) If desired, garnish with cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
• For local sweet potatoes, try Jackson’s Produce
• For local tomato sauce, try Rootbound Farm